In addition to the Training Template and accompanying 25-page manual, this purchase also includes a 35-page text on health, programming, and performance outcomes like strength, hypertrophy, and cardiorespiratory fitness.
Who Should Use This Template?
This template is primarily aimed at the following three groups of people:
- Individuals who are new to resistance training (less than 3-6 months of experience in a formal training program).
- Individuals returning from an extended layoff (more than 4 weeks) from resistance training. We get it, life happens and one missed session sometimes turns into a longer break from the gym. The Beginner Template is a great on-ramp for those who have been out of the gym for a
- Individuals returning from an injury. These folks may have been running one of our rehab templates or working with our rehab coaches. Regardless, if a lifter has been unable to train normally for a substantial period of time (more than 4-6 weeks), they are also a candidate to use this
Program Structure Overview
Each week involves the following features designed to help new trainees gradually 1) improve physical performance, and 2) work towards meeting current exercise guidelines for health purposes:
- Three days of strength training involving three exercises per day that collectively train the entire body. These workouts are ideally performed on non-consecutive days (e.g. M/W/F or T/Th/Sa), but if you have to schedule training days back-to-back, that’s okay – and certainly better than not training at all!
- One or two days of conditioning. The Beginner Template gradually introduces the trainee to aerobic and anaerobic conditioning elements over time to improve cardiorespiratory fitness and work capacity that are important for physical development and health outcomes (more on this later).
- One or two days of optional accessory work. The Beginner Template includes additional upper back, trunk, and arm work as part of the physical development process. We call this accessory work “GPP”, which stands for General Physical Preparedness. While we strongly recommend all individuals complete the programmed conditioning described above, we don’t feel as strongly about the accessory work during the first phase of training. See the GPP section for further
With these features, the Beginner Template contains three phases of programming that can be run repeatedly for extended periods of time, as long as the trainee is continuing to demonstrate a trend of improvement.
No refunds available on downloadable products at this time.